As an independent educational charity, the Aldgate and Allhallows Foundation seeks to provide opportunities to young people from the City of London and Tower Hamlets through our grants to organisations and individuals.
Because we are a relatively small foundation, we share our Jewry Street offices with, and are administered by, staff at Sir John Cass’s Foundation. This arrangement has been in place since 1895 when the Aldgate and Allhallows Foundation was established. However, we are an entirely separate organisation, with both our own registration with the Charity Commission and separate sources of income.
We are aware that Sir John Cass’s Foundation has recently been in the news due to Sir John Cass’s historical links to the slave trade. You can read their full statement where they commit to a change of name as well as to the removal of the statue of Sir John Cass from the façade of the building on Jewry Street.
At the Aldgate and Allhallows Foundation, we want to reassure our beneficiaries and community that we are committed to combatting racism and discrimination of all kinds. While we have no historical links to Sir John Cass’s Foundation, we commit to investigating our own historical sources of wealth in more detail over the coming months